In my book, The Five Firsts: A Simple System to Onboard, Engage & Retain Top Talent, I recommend you have a chat with every new employee at the end of their first week. Here are some additional suggestions as to the kinds of questions you might ask:
- Which co-worker has been most helpful to you?
- Have you had any uncomfortable situations or conflicts?
- Does everyone seem to be on the same page when it comes to what is expected of them in areas like safety, quality of work, and accountability?
- What was the best part of your first week here? What could we have done to make it better?
- Do you think we asked for too many qualifications for what the job really entails or too few?