From our friends at Snagajob.com…
1. Many don’t see hourly jobs as temporary jobs. Snagajob found that 40 percent of 18-29 year olds see themselves as career hourly workers.
2. They once preferred to travel only five to 10 miles to work, but hourly jobseekers’ willingness to travel longer distances has increased over the years.
3. There are many types of hourly jobseekers, but the four largest groups are students, part-timers (or supplementers), career hourly workers, and retirees.
4. Female job seekers are more likely to search for part-time hourly positions than male jobseekers. Sixty-nine percent of Snagajob members seeking part-time work are female.
5. Friends and family referrals are a top source for job search information.
6. They perceive experience/skills (over qualifications and age) as their major barriers to employment.
7. Better pay, opportunity for growth, job security, and more flexible hours are the top four reasons currently employed hourly workers look for new jobs.
8. They would rather lead the country than be on the pop or box office charts. A Snagajob poll revealed that hourly job seekers would rather be the president than Lady Gaga or Will Ferrell.
9. Most students are looking for part-time, hourly work (probably so they can work around their school schedules.)
10. Building a sense of pride, supporting family, meeting new people, and learning new things were the top reasons why our members go to work.
(For everything you need to know about recruiting, selecting, on-boarding and retaining the best hourly employees, visit: The Humetrics’ Store.)