If you want to hire the best, you have to go after the best because, on average, only about 17% of the workforce is actively looking for a job (and many of those are people you probably would not want to hire). At the other end of the spectrum, we have the 83% who are working (most likely the people you do want to hire), so you need to actively recruit them.
The following excerpt from an Inc. article* summarizes a Google recruiter’s tips that anyone can use to win the war for talent: • Recognize the inherent strengths of the amateur: Read resumes with an open mind. Remember resumes are just a marketing piece.
• Be a language detective: Look for active versus passive language.
• Make being small work for you: It can make you unique and you can offer a lot the larger company can’t.
• Don’t believe the social media hype: Referrals are still the best source of great employees.
• Write great headlines and tell people what they will get to do and why the job is so important.