Have you ever lost a great employee to another employer? Hurts, doesn’t it? And while that person probably told you they were leaving for more money, that’s rarely the case. More often the real reasons have to do with relationships, opportunities, and respect.
Here are the common missteps that will make your STARS start to think the grass is surely greener elsewhere:
- Spell out clearly defined growth opportunities.
- Increase their responsibilities or cross-train them.
- Find out where they want to go and help them get there.
- Pay for performance.
- Trust them with flex time or opportunities to work from home.
- Hold to high hiring standards and so they’re surrounded by slackers.
- Solicit their opinions and ideas and ask for their thoughts/feedback before changing anything or starting something new.